Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Lost Phones, Hockey Matches, Birthdays and Crepes!

The day after the afterparty at Teemu's was the last day of the Winter Varsity sport competition between Uni of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam University, and a bunch of us had tickets to the ice hockey match that was the highlight of the week. I was planning on meeting a couple of people at the Edge for lunch, and then we were all going to catch the bus there together.

However...

At about 10.30 in the morning, I got a text from Joey's mobile, saying "Found this phone, whose is it?'. Thinking that he must have left it at Teemu's, I replied "Joey's... did he leave it out last night?". I waited a while, during which time I got a bit confused until I got the reply saying "Er found it on the floor." I arranged to meet the phone-finder at the Edge, wondering where on earth Joey had left it. Turns out, he must have dropped it on the road at some point during his 200m stagger home the night before, and two English guys who live in the Village found it. I think it was lucky that they returned it and didn't keep it!

Anyway, after that excitement, I went and found the others in the Edge. I had a dry and disappointing sandwich, then realised I'd left my ticket at home, so had to hotfoot it back up the hill (and stairs) to my place and then rush back to the bus, where I ended up sitting next to someone I'd never met who didn't want to talk. I caught up with the others, and after we all had our faces decked out with yellow and black (Uni of Sheffield colours) and grabbed some paper flags, we got to our seats and waited for the game to begin.


I was surprised, because the game was actually really exciting! I'd never seen ice hockey before, but I think I'd be happy to go along again!! I think I annoyed Patrick sufficiently as well, when I was asking questions about how to play the game, not unlike when I was at the Super Bowl. My team lost, unfortunately... we were winning for the first two periods, but then Hallam got in a goal right at the end of the second period and then scored again at the end. Lauri was really disappointed with our team's performance - in his words "A bunch of girls who had never played before could have done better than that!". But he's Finnish, and because they get a lot of snow and ice, I'm assuming that means that he'd seen a lot of really good hockey in his time. My favourite part of it though was one of the chants - it was to the tune of 'Yankee Doodle', and went something like this:

"We go somewhere you don't go,
Uni! Uni!
We go somewhere you don't go,
University..."

And so on. It's because Hallam used to be a technical college, and was only turned into a Uni about 15 years ago. It'd be kind of like if they made CIT into a Uni, and we played against them in sport. After the match, Patrick and I somehow managed to lose everyone we knew, and so spent the bus ride home quoting Euro Trip.

When we got back, we all grabbed some dinner and then got ready to celebrate Lauri's birthday (which we were actually holding at my flat). People started arriving about 8.30, and we all had a fun time playing drinking games and getting Lauri drunk. Someone gave him a bottle of Captain Morgan's black rum, and he spent a large amount of time getting people to try it. Just a heads up: if someone ever has a bottle of this rum, don't do it. It's rough and nasty, and stopped me from ever wanting to be a pirate. There was a lot of cider of varying degrees of quality floating around, and everyone was having a good time. After a lot of drinks, the birthday boy headed home to sleep at about 12.15, and the rest of us carried on.



At about 1am, we headed off to Crewe flats to continue the party in their kitchen, where a guy called Matt was making crepes. They were amazing, and just when you had taken a bite of one, he'd have made another one, so that everyone could share in the deliciousness. Honestly, they were delightful, and if I could buy a Matt to make me crepes all the time, I'd think it was a worthwhile investment.



The party at Crewe flats ended up with us playing FlipCup (one of my new favourite games!) where my team won one round, then the other team won - during the celebrations for which, Fiona managed to cut her nose on her necklace. Sounds crazy, but it happened! And then we put on some music, pushed the tables out of the way, and had a mini dancefloor to Flo Rida and the Far East Movement. We all got home around 3am (I think, it might have been a bit later) and crashed pretty much right away.




Sunday was more or less a write-off; after a sleep in and grabbing some groceries, I didn't do much until the evening when we went downstairs for dinner (Massi cooked pasta with a bolognaise-type sauce) and then we headed over to the Edge for the pub quiz. We did alright, passing (even though some of the questions were really difficult - like "which Dancing on Ice judge made controversial comments last week?", which is really hard when you don't have a TV!) and I headed home at about 10pm after having my first dry night since arriving in Sheffield!

No comments:

Post a Comment