Monday, March 14, 2011

Alphabet Parties, Games and Vegemite Toasties

On the Thursday after Fiona's birthday, we knew there was an Alphabet party being put on for us international kids. The theme meant that you had to come dressed as something starting with the same letter as your country. So for Australia, you could go as an apple, aardvark, angel, academic, etc, for Portugal you could go as a pirate or a pineapple, for France you could go as a finish line, and so on. Of course, I left my costume-finding until the last minute, and ended up wearing a black skirt, sunglasses and my Corp shirt and saying I was an agent. Personally, I was most impressed with Charlie who went as Al Capone, and Joey who went as an Underdressed Hippie.


We ended up running late for the party, but it didn't really matter because once we got to the Walkabout, it was dead. Like, actually dead. We thought we'd got the wrong venue for a while, but it turns out that just a lot of people had bailed at the last minute. We got a couple of drinks to alleviate the awkwardness, and stood chatting for a while. Then suddenly, we were surrounded by Pokemon. And no, I wasn't drunk - there was also a Pokemon party going on, where I kid you not, there were people with really involved costumes everywhere. I'm talking body paint, tentacles, and one guy who came as a pokeball. It was bizarre and yet quite cool. We ran into a couple of people we knew, and then danced for a while (to classics like Blink-182 and Rage Against the Machine), before deciding to move on. At some point, all the Pokemon disappeared. I'm still not sure where they went or how I missed them leaving, because it's not like they were exactly inconspicuous!


A few people decided to head home, but most of us weren't ready, so we moved on to a club called Soyo, which was actually really trendy and quite cool. It was here we lost Johanna totally, and Shannon for a while. Just after midnight, we were joined by a bunch of people we knew, and it was really fun. We stayed until the lights came on... at 12.30!! After proclaiming our disbelief at a club closing this early, we decided to move on. At this point, we met two English girls, who hung around us for the rest of the night. We walked towards a couple of different clubs we'd heard about, but none of us wanted to pay a cover, so we wandered around for a while looking for one that had free entry. We finally all decided to go to a club called Babylon, which is notoriously seedy. One guy had his wallet stolen - or rather, everything of value stolen from inside his wallet, and his wallet left there for him to find later... so that's kind of what we were up for!


We all got in, and were immediately confronted with a stencilled image of Britney Spears... because every night at Babylon is '90s night! Overall though, it was kind of like Moosehead's seedy foreign cousin. And considering Moosehead's, that's saying something! Shane bought a vodka and coke that tasted truly atrocious... I don't know why, but it was one of the worst things I've ever tasted. I don't even know how they got it to taste like that, but the taste defies explanation! Oh, and the clientele was on the sketchier side of normal - and let's not forget the Russian gangsters. Charlie pointed them out to me, and these guys looked really scary. Adam had somehow found a balloon in there, and was playing a game with an English girl where he was holding it out of her reach. Then somehow, he let go of the balloon and it flew up into an air vent right over the gangsters - and Adam crashed into them trying to get it back. The look they gave him was a bit creepy, and Charlie, Shane and I are now sure that he's got a death warrant against him. I still don't think he should wander around Sheffield alone.


We hung around for a while longer, until they'd played the classics like S Club 7 and Ricky Martin, then decided to head off. I walked home with Joey, Michel and Elizabeth from my flat. I tell you what, I'm getting so used to walking everywhere that I don't know what I'll do when I get home and it's no longer a viable means of transport!! Even though we got back fairly late, I still made it to my class on Friday morning, and was pretty proud of myself for that.

Friday night, a bunch of people had decided to go to Space. I was still feeling a bit seedy from the previous night, and didn't fancy listening to dubstep all night, so I opted to stay back. We hosted the pregame in my flat, and people headed off to the club at about 10.30pm. Left behind with me was Joey, Karsten, Astrid, Elizabeth, Frederik, Emanuele, Tom and Gustave ("The Elusive Gustave", as I like to call him. I don't see him very often), and we decided to stock up on drinks and then play a couple of games. Astrid and Elizabeth opted to leave and stock up, and then we realised we could hear the sound of drunk people in the flat next to mine. Karsten and Joey knocked on the door that separates E4 from D4, and scored us an invite over. We all trecked down the stairs, around the building, and into D Block... because even though there's only a door that separates our flats, it's locked and if we tried to force it we'd set off the alarm and evacuate the entire building.

When we got there, we found that all the girls in there (including Karen, Natalie and Sarah, who I'd met a couple of times before) definitely had a buzz on as they were getting ready to go to Space as well. We hung out there for a bit, and Karen gave me a tour of their kitchen and common room, which was green instead of blue! My favourite part was the wall of hot people. I think we need one in our flat. After a while, they went to catch a taxi to the party, and we headed back to my flat, just in time for Astrid and Elizabeth's triumphant return with the cider. We then started playing games - Kings, F*** the Dealer and Tourettes were the order of the night - and I don't know if I've ever laughed so much in my life. Especially during the "Never Have I Ever" cards... it sure is one way to learn a lot about people!! I lost Kings and had to drink from the cup (interestingly, the last King was the very last card pulled. I'd never had that happen before! The cup wasn't too bad though, it just had blue VK, beer and cider. It just tasted like sweet beer), and Elizabeth lost F the Dealer quite badly which resulted in her getting completely shwasted.

All of a sudden, I heard Shannon come home, and realised that it was already just before 3am. Astrid and I decided to go and get some food to quell the drunchies, and so we headed up and bought kebabs. When I got home, Shannon went to bed, and Joey, Frederik and Karsten were the only ones left. We all decided to call it a night and head to bed. I said goodbye to the boys, and then went and got into my jammies - when my phone rang. It was Shane, who said that he couldn't believe that we'd been playing games the entire time they'd been at Space! He also informed me that they'd kidnapped Joey, and to pay his ransom I had to go downstairs to partake in prank calls and Vegemite toasties. I thought this sounded reasonable, and so pulled my jeans on and went to join them. When I got there, Allen was just about passed out on one of the couches, and Adam was figuring out who to prank next. They decided to call a guy called Luke, and I had to say that I was in love with him, but unfortunately pregnant to another guy and really wanted Luke to be the father to my bastard child. It went to voicemail, I left the message without laughing, arranged to meet at Costa the next day, and was rewarded with Vegemite toasties (that felt more like they were on crackers instead of toast because Shane left the oven door shut when he was grilling them). It was also Joey's first taste of Vegemite. I think he was impressed.

I eventually headed upstairs at about 4.30 and passed out. I then woke up reasonably early to go to Nottingham to spend some time with Jack and the Gaps, which was nice and really relaxing. On Saturday, I met them in the Nottingham shopping area, and then we headed back to Long Eaton, where we skyped Mum and Dad in the evening, and then watched some TV until the wee small hours. On the Sunday, I went for Sunday lunch with Jack and Mitchell, where they had burgers and I had the carvery dinner. It was turkey, it was amazing, and I felt very English. That night, we went and saw True Grit (again) and then had an early night. I went and had lunch at the school on Monday and then headed back to Sheffield in the afternoon, to give myself enough time to get ready for Elizabeth's birthday... the story of which is coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment