The night that I got back from Notts was Elizabeth's 21st birthday. We'd decided to have the party in my flat (again), before maybe heading out later. Elizabeth's friend Amanda had given her a big cup with "21" emblazoned on it when she'd come to visit it, and it had been christened the "Goblet of Destruction". Considering that the cup could hold one of the big bottles of Breezer in it quite comfortably, I think the title was quite apt, and that cup kept her going the entire night. Her memory ended up going, too, and we spent a lot of Tuesday filling her in on the events of the evening!
We started drinking at about 8.30, and by 9-ish people had started filtering in. I ended up playing F the Dealer again with a few people (I don't know why, but get a bunch of the international kids together and it deteriorates to drinking games. Just one of those things, I guess...), and I lost really badly. I personally blame Lauri... I think that he was giving me payback for getting him so drunk at his birthday! So I was pretty sloshed by about half nine and spent the rest of the night more or less sobering up.
Shannon had gone to a fair bit of effort for Elizabeth, and had printed off a bunch of pictures from her Facebook and emblazoned them with slogans such as "It's my birthday... get it while it's hot!" and "I'm 21. Whatcha gonna do about it?" and "Go ahead, card me bitch!". They looked great, and Elizabeth was pretty excited when she saw them! We also had two cakes - a big one and a little one, which ended up being lucky because it turns out that it was also Alex's birthday. Cake for everyone!
By about 11.30, people were considering moving on, and a bunch of us went to Vodka Revolutions, which is always a fun if expensive place. We all got a couple of drinks and danced to stuff like Beyonce - it was a lot of fun, especially considering that the fifteen or so of us were the only ones there! They played the mixture of daggy and catchy club songs that have now become more or less the soundtrack to my time in Sheffield. We stayed there until the club shut at 1.30, and then had to debate where to go. The thing is, it's Sheffield, so everything tends to shut early... plus it was a Monday night, so our options were limited slightly. We decided to go to The Harley, which is a pub/hotel that's open 'til 4am every night. We went there, and that was where we all more or less hit the wall. We sat on the couches there for a while, had a couple more drinks, checked out the decor:
And then headed home for the night. Because The Harley's at the edge of the University campus, we all decided to get some cheesy chips and then work them off by walking home. I think we got back around 3.30-ish... good times!
The next day (Tuesday) was Teemu's birthday. His was a more chilled affair than Elizabeth's - a house party at his place. This worked because Teemu lives in a group halfway between the two big groups of international kids, so it was good for everyone! I was drinking Ribena cocktails - which is Blackcurrant Sourz and lemondade, and is delicious. We stayed there for a good few hours, and I passed the time playing "Never Have I Ever" with a bunch of people. It's such a good game. Patrick and I were astonished at our liver capacity, because we were drinking a fair bit but not really feeling it. Although, I guess our drinks were more or less equivalent to weak alcopops so it makes sense. It also turns out that Teemu was turning 26, which surprised me... I would have put him at 24, max! His housemates all put in and got him a Uni of Sheffield hoodie as his present too, which I thought was lovely. The German guys also put in and got him a cake... which was really a selection of beer cans with candles on top. It looked hilarious, and kept Teemu going for the rest of the night.
Anyway, it was a really fun night where we learned a lot about some of the people on Exchange (which always happens when you play that game!). They ended up turning the lights off in the living room, turning the music up and creating a bit of a rave. I ended up standing in the stairwell talking to Joey, Patrick, Frederik and Emanuele, and laughing a lot. We all started leaving at about 1am, and Felix called me a name because he thought I was bailing on the night too early. We also had a moment of panic when Trista decided to use the wall and not the stairs to get back to the footpath, and we had to hold a couple of people upright for the walk home, but overall the night was great, and we got a couple of stories out of it - which is always a good thing.
Wednesday was Floortje's birthday, and to celebrate we decided to go to one of the Union parties called Roar. We had the pregame in the massive kitchen at Crewe, which is always the start of a good night... there were shots, and chatting, and music, and then we all headed off. It was a great night! Adam didn't take a coat because he reasoned that the one pound coat check fee was equivalent to a shot. I paid for Shane's coat check and he paid me back with two shots, and it deteriorated from there. I found the secret bar with Shane and Adam and we did a couple of medleys - enough to get a decent buzz on, which lasted for the rest of the night!
We also ran into some girls from the flat next door to mine, two of whom were dressed up as Bananas in Pyjamas, and we hung out with them for a while. Felix was also wearing a hoodie and sunglasses inside that night... maybe best not to ask why. We danced for ages, too. The music was really good - a mixture of new and old stuff, and everyone was having fun. There ended up being about 30 of us international kids there, and the venue itself was packed. It finished at about 2.30, and after we queued for our coats and Adam got kicked out for being unruly, I went and got more cheesy chips with Patrick, Fiona, Felix and Toby, and then Fi, Patrick and I taxi'd home. Turns out, Felix and Toby had hidden extra beer in the bushes near the Uni, so they had provisions for the walk home. Fi and I went to bed when we got back - around 3am. Turns out, there was a postparty back at Crewe, which Allen had apparently told me about, that I missed because I hadn't been paying attention!
All in all, it was a solid half-week of birthdays. I think all those people who were celebrating their big days had fun, and I definitely enjoyed being able to share in the celebrations!
No comments:
Post a Comment