The meeting was pretty boring, as you can imagine, but afterwards we all grabbed drinks (can you see a theme here?) and played a couple of rounds of pool and Foosball. Fiona, Patrick, Joey and I brought the cake in (even with candles!), and Astrid was a mix of surprised, chuffed, and embarrassed - in a good way! We decided that we were having too much fun to let the night end there, so we told a couple of people to come back to our flat for a bit of a party. I went with Fiona, Patrick, Jeremy and Stephane to the bottle shop, where we stocked up on beer, wine and lemonade (in case the wine was gross... which it was). We headed back, picked up Astrid, and headed over to our flat. In the beginning there were maybe ten or fifteen people... then people just started turning up, and soon there were people we didn't even know there - but they all seemed to know other people, and our bedrooms were locked, so it wasn't too bad. It ended up being a really fun party!
Wednesday was, for me, a really chilled out day. I don't have classes then, so I slept in til about half past eleven, then went and mopped the kitchen floor (I was amazed at my domesticity. But it was really sticky). I was chilling in my room, when I heard someone walk through my flat and go into the kitchen. Thinking that it was one of my flatmates, I wandered in. Turns out, it was actually one of the maintenance men, who was fixing a chair that had a screw loose. So, I kind of nodded at him, knowing that I had zero chance of looking nonchalant and cool because I was still in my jammies, and kind of scuttled back to my room. I ended up going out to the shops, because we'd all heard of this huge school-themed party that's held at one of the clubs in town every Wednesday. Apparently, it's a pretty gross club but the drinks are dirt cheap, and everyone likes getting dressed up on a weekly basis. Plus, it's free entry before midnight if you're wearing a uniform. What I learned that afternoon mostly, is that it's really hard to find white shirts. I'm sure if you know where they are, it's good, but remembering that I'd not really looked for one in years, plus they don't have Big W or Kmart here. Even Primark was sold out. I ended up finding one for 1.50 in some random little shop, and was quite proud of myself.
At about 9pm, Fiona and I headed down to the Bar to meet some people for drinks before heading to Corporation. We'd heard the lines could get massive, and doors opened at 10, so we were planning on getting there just before. We eventually caught a taxi which dropped us right at the door... and there was no line! People were just walking in. So, we headed up and showed our ID's to the bouncers, who then asked us for our tickets. What tickets? He said that this was the ticketed entry door, and we'd have to go and join the line. We turned the corner of the building, and there we found the biggest line I've ever seen for a club. I'm serious... there were maybe 400 people standing there, and more arriving all the time. We walked up, and ran into Elizabeth, Shannon, Joey, Patrick, Allen, Shane, Massi and a few others, so we snuck in with them. Patrick revealed quite early on that he really had to go to the bathroom, and considering we were just behind halfway through the line, there would still be quite a wait before he would be able to use the bathrooms in Corp. I'd seen a Sainsbury's not too far away, and we reasoned that a big supermarket like that would be open at 10pm and have bathrooms, right?
Wrong.
Turns out that unlike other supermarkets like Tesco and Asda, Sainsbury's Sheffield shuts at 7pm. Patrick looked crestfallen at this (and pretty desperate too), but we spotted a sign towards public toilets. We went and found them, but unfortunately they'd been gated and locked. Patrick decided that there was no way that he could wait to find a pub or anything, so he spotted these big, triangular displays that had information about Sheffield written on them, and decided that they were big enough that he could use them as his cover. Unfortunately, with triangular displays, there's really not that much cover - there's always an angle from where people can see everything. He told me to keep a lookout, which I did. A couple of minutes later, this guy started walking through the displays. I tried to get Patrick's attention, failed, and hoped that he would hear the guy himself. Luckily, he did, and the guy to his credit was looking straight forward and totally avoided eye contact with Patrick. He did look at me though, and we had this awkward nod-like thing which let me know that the guy knew exactly what was going on, but was going to pretend he didn't. Good man.
Anyway, after that, Patrick and I burst out laughing and ran back to Corp, where we christened the story "Adventure Time 2.0" and then told it to the others, who really didn't seem to find it as funny as we did. The line had advanced a little bit in the fifteen minutes or so that we'd been gone, but really not that far. By the time 11pm rolled around, a few of us were getting restless. It had been an hour, if not a little longer, and it didn't look like anyone would be getting in before midnight. We discussed the merits of staying in line, where I was no longer interested, but Patrick, Fiona, Allen etc were all keen to stay. I ended up leaving for another club with Akash, Massi, Anne Sophie, Trista and a couple of others, where we found Lauri, Clemente, Felix and Sam, who had already bailed. Shane, Charlie and Superbowl Sam joined us not long after. Within about half an hour, just about everyone who'd been in line at Corp had joined us at Vodka Revs, where we made our own party. I had a Bakewell Tart flavoured shot, which was actually really nice (but I don't think it was that alcoholic). There was a alot of dancing - especially when Empire State of Mind came on - a lot of singing along, a lot of photos, and a lot of talking. It was a really fun night.
I headed home just after 1am, when Vodka Revolutions shut, and even made it back to Uni the next morning in time for my 10am lecture. Not going to lie, I was pretty proud of myself!
No comments:
Post a Comment